Passport FAQs

What is a passport?
A passport is a travel document that serves as the ultimate form of proof for your citizenship. Every country issues passports to citizens of that country.  US passports are issued by the United States Department of State.  

Do I need a US passport?
American citizens require passports to exit and enter the US and all other countries in the world. It is your responsibility to carry the correct identification while traveling abroad.

How does A Briggs obtain a US passport for me?
A Briggs provides passport services for US citizens by submitting proper documentation on your behalf to the United States Department of State.  This eliminates the need for you to visit, communicate, and correspond directly with the Department of State. A Briggs also provides a full line of passport services including First Time Passports, Passport Renewals, Child’s Passports, and Passport Name Change services for US passport holders.  Please go to the Passports section of our website to see the full range of passport services A Briggs provides. 

How long is my US passport valid?
If your US passport was issued when you were 16 years old or older, your passport is valid for 10 years. If your US passport was issued when you were 15 years old or younger, your passport is valid for 5 years.

I need to visit a Passport Acceptance Facility before I can submit my application to A Briggs.  Where can I find a Passport Acceptance Facility in my area?
Visit the United States Department of State Passport Acceptance Facility Search Page to find a Passport Acceptance Facility near you.

When applying for a US passport renewal, will my old passport be returned to me?
Yes, your old US passport will be returned unless it is deemed to be damaged by the United States Department of State. The passport will clearly indicate that it is invalid and it is important that you advise whether any valid visas remain in the passport before applying for it to be renewed.

How long must my passport be valid for international travel?
Most countries require that a passport be valid for at least six months beyond the completion of a trip. If your passport expires sooner than that, you must apply to renew your passport.  Please view the Visas section to determine how long a passport must be valid for each specific country of travel. In the event that your passport is set to expire, A Briggs can assist you. Please visit Renew Passport for details.

Can A Briggs obtain additional passport pages for my US passport?
As of January 1, 2016 you can no longer add additional pages to your US Passport. You must renew your passport if you have no blank pages in your passport, A Briggs can assist you. Please visit Renew Passport for details.

How many blank passport pages do I need to meet entrance requirements and what is considered a 'blank' passport page?
Passports must have enough blank pages to accommodate entry and exit immigration stamps for each country of travel. At least one visa page in your passport is required for each visa. Most travel visas that are stamped into your passport require an entire blank visa page. A 'blank' visa page must be clean, clear, and not show ink or stains from any other pages in the passport. 

I got married or divorced recently and have changed my name. Can A Briggs help me change my name on my US passport?
With proper documentation, you are able to change the name listed in your US passport.  A Briggs can assist you with this process by submitting the necessary documents on your behalf.  Please go to Passport Name Change for details. 

Can A Briggs replace my lost or stolen US passport?
With correct documentation, A Briggs can replace your lost or stolen US passport in as little as a day. Please go to Lost or Stolen Passport for details. 

Do my children require US passports?
Yes. Each individual citizen, including infants, must possess his or her own passport. You are not allowed to represent other members of the family inside your passport. A Briggs can assist you if you need to get a new child passport or if you need to renew a child’s passport.  Visit Child's Passport to learn about passport requirements for children.

How old must my children be to apply for a Child Passport?
Your children must be 15 years old or younger to apply for a child passport.  Visit Child's Passport to learn about passport requirements for children.

Can A Briggs help me obtain a passport if I am not a US citizen?
A Briggs can assist with all passport services for Australian, British, Indian, Irish, and Israeli citizens residing in the United States and in possession of a valid US Green Card.  Visit Foreign National Passports to get a Passport Application Kit.  If you are a foreign national residing in the US from another country, please visit your country’s nearest embassy or consulate for further details regarding passport services.

What is a passport submission appointment and why is it necessary?
A passport submission appointment is required for all passport services.  If you need a service in less than 3 weeks, you must call the A Briggs Customer Care Center at 800-806-0581 to schedule your appointment with a A Briggs Visa and Passport Specialist.  For passport services with a processing time of 3 weeks or longer, a passport submission appointment is made once your completed application is received by the A Briggs office location designated in your Passport Application Kit.

What is a passport authorization letter?
A passport authorization letter is a letter that authorizes A Briggs to act as your representative when submitting your passport application.  The United States Passport Agency requires that you sign this letter before they will release your new or updated passport to us once your order is complete.

Can I use a photocopy of a United States Department of State Passport Application Form?
No. You can only submit original copies of these forms.  You can find instructions for downloading and printing the US Department of State Passport Application Forms in our A Briggs Application Kits.  Go to Passports to get a A Briggs Application Kit.

Can I fax my completed forms to A Briggs?
No, you must submit original copies of all documents and order forms to A Briggs for processing.

How long will it take A Briggs take to process my passport?
A Briggs can process your passport in as little as one day.  Each passport service supports a variety of processing times to meet your specific travel needs.  Visit the Passports section, select your service and determine the best processing time for your order.

When does A Briggs apply 'rush' and 'emergency' fee surcharges for passport processing?
A Briggs applies the 'rush' surcharge when provided 4-10 business days for processing after we receive your completed application. The 'emergency' surcharge applies when A Briggs is given 3 business days or less for processing after we receive your completed application.  Standard processing applies to all orders that are given 11 days or longer to be processed.

What forms of payment does A Briggs accept?
A Briggs accepts payment by most major credit cards including:

American Express, Discover, MasterCard, Visa

What mailing method does A Briggs recommend for submitting my completed A Briggs Passport Application kit?
A Briggs recommends using FedEx, UPS, or other traceable methods of delivery when submitting your completed A Briggs Application Kit.

Service Commitment

Through our expertise, in-depth knowledge and integrity we commit to delivering an exceptional experience to customers each and every time they use our service.

Learn More

Fast Passport Renewal

Need your passport quickly? A Briggs can renew your US passport in a day.  

Learn More